[HealthLiteracy 1861] Health literacy standards

Aracely Rosales

aracely at plculture.org
Thu Mar 20 12:47:24 EDT 2008

Dear NIFL friends:

After taking a closer look at the standards in health literacy and
throughout the health care community, we found very few standards at
all and even less consistency within the health care industry --
among health care systems, the government, public organizations, and
the private sector, among others.

So we took on the effort to advocate and promote standards for health
literacy.

In addition to developing our own base of research and presentation
information (now available) about health literacy standards, we have
been working with URAC, an independent nonprofit organization which
promotes quality through accreditation and education programs, to
promote health literacy as part of its Consumer Protection and
Empowerment core standards.

The good news is that URAC is now considering this new standard and
has made it part of its Core Standards, which are now open for public
comment.

Enclosed is a press release which, announces Health Literacy
Innovations support of URAC’s new health literacy standard.

If you would like to comment on this and/or support health literacy
in URAC standards, please visit URAC.org and follow instructions for
public comments.

The new health literacy standard is under “Core 21 – Marketing
Communication Practices.” The deadline for public comments is April
14th, 2008

Many thanks.

Aracely Rosales,
Chief Content Expert and Multilingual Director, Health Literacy
Innovations
President, Plain Language and Culture, Inc.