[HealthLiteracy 1840] Re: FW: AFB Senior Site Tip: Talking to Your Pharmacist

Kristina Anderson

kristina at easyreadcopywriting.com
Wed Mar 12 10:36:39 EDT 2008

Valerie, you are so right.

I have a personal story about labels. I'm just coming out a nasty bout with
the flu, and two of my medications were in the same kind of bottle, and I
hadn't noticed because I was so sick, sleeping about 16-hour days. In
addition, I can't read anything without my glasses. I took too much of the
new medication because the info that came with the medication said one thing
and the label said another. I didn't read the label -- my fault -- just the
flyer, and later, when I couldn't wake up, realized my mistake.

I ended up writing a big "N" (for nausea) on top of the new med bottle so I
could easily distinguish it from the other look-a-like bottle to ensure I
didn't take the sleep-inducing med when I meant to take my pain killer.

And I'm an educated, health literacy conscious senior (dang it).

Kristina

Kristina Anderson
EasyRead Copywriting, LLC
Office: 505-345-3258