[HealthLiteracy 1775] Re: Seeking training curriculum for family health coach

Charles Jackson

cjackson at humana.com
Thu Feb 14 11:19:56 EST 2008

Yes, Joan. That makes sense. I think our "coaches" will be volunteers who
may not have a health background.

Charles

Joan Medlen
<joan at ipns.com>
Sent by: To
healthliteracy-bo The Health and Literacy Discussion
unces at nifl.gov List <healthliteracy at nifl.gov>
cc

02/14/2008 10:35 Subject
AM [HealthLiteracy 1774] Re: Seeking
training curriculum for family
health coach
Please respond to
The Health and
Literacy
Discussion List
<healthliteracy at n
ifl.gov>

At 06:09 AM 2/14/2008, you wrote:

>I find health coaches primarily for specific diseases, for nurses, or for

>health and fitness programs for employees. Is anyone aware of a training

>program for a family health coach?

"Coaching" is merely a process. What you want is a professional who is
comfortable with the topics you are interested in having htem work with who

has been through a coaching program.

Most coaching programs are focussed on specific topics: wellness, business,

etc. But the process is very similar to what dietitians call "motivational
interviewing." If what you want is a "coach," then you want a person who
can use a process of coaching - motivational interviewing/mentoring.

Does that make sense?

Joan Medlen, RD, LD
Clinical Advisor, Health Literacy and Communications
Special Olympics, Inc
Project Director, Creating Solutions
www.disabilitysolutions.org
www.downsyndromenutrition.com