[HealthLiteracy 1766] Wednesday Question: Transfer of HL skills from home language to English

Julie McKinney

julie_mcKinney at worlded.org
Wed Feb 13 15:18:55 EST 2008

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for sharing all the information about translation standards. It got me to wondering about transfer of health literacy skills from one language to the next. If people have access to good quality health education materials in their home language, can that result in more effective communication, health learning and behavior change in the U.S. system?

There are more and more good health materials available in a range of languages these days. Do these indeed help people stay healthier, even if they get most of their health care in English? Of course it is one of many factors, but I wonder what people think about this.

Has anyone studied it? Have any ESOL teachers out there done activities where students look for information (content-based, like health) in their own language, and check their comprehension and ability to discuss the content in English?

Let us know what you think,
Julie

Julie McKinney
Discussion List Moderator