[HealthLiteracy 1763] Re: National translation standards?

Aracely Rosales

aracely at plculture.org
Mon Feb 11 12:26:00 EST 2008

Hi Janet and all:

- When it comes to healthcare, there are no national
translation standards yet. Government agencies and state health
departments are all using different guidelines like the one from
Massachusetts. Organizations requiring health materials to be
translated should have policies and procedures in place. What to
translate, who is in charge, how to review, check and approve
translated documents.

- Companies in charge of doing translations for organizations
should follow standards too. Company standards vary from company to
company and field to field. For example, our company standards
include implementing a process that uses a team approach. Our team of
translators, editors and plain language/health experts work closely
with the organization (its needs, language competencies, graphic
design capacity, reviewing processes, etc.)

- Part of the company’s standards should include an established
process to evaluate the source document (English original most of the
time) and determine cultural adaptation, readability level,
translation process, document management and personnel involved (both
ends), certificate requirements, reviewing process, the use of
glossaries and technology (software, memory tools) and text format
for delivery.

- There are many steps in the translation process, but the
ultimate step to assure a plain language and culturally appropriate
translation is testing it with the target audience. We test
translations for readability, comprehension, word choice (according
to target audience) and cultural acceptability.

- For many qualified translators, the biggest challenge is to
accept the feed back from the audience. I always tell my work team to
disconnect from the piece and make revisions according to appropriate
feedback. After all, the information is not for us, the good readers,
but for people who needs it in a way that is clear.

- There are many factors affecting quality of translations. One
factor is the time allotted to produce the translation. One of the
biggest mistakes some organizations make is to expect a translator
(the wrong approach to start) to produce a good translation in a very
short period of time. Yet, it took them a long time to produce the
English version.

- Another factor is clarity of the source documents. If the
English version is not clear enough in the first place, we can’t
blame translators for bad translations can we?

- Unfortunately, even when the source document is clear, in
plain language, if translators do not know the goal or are not
trained in plain language techniques, there is a great chance they
will increase the reading level of the target document (translated
document).

- Lets not forget, that some documents or contents do not apply
to the target audience, nor can they be adapted. So, perhaps
translation is not the best approach. You may need to trans-create
your document (re-write for the audience.)

- As I always say in my translation presentation and training,
the same time and effort you invested in your English original, more
or less, you need to invest on its translation into another language.

- But, because we leave in a realistic world, and not all
situations are ideal, there is not one set process for all
translations. The reality is, that each document is different;
organization’s needs, competencies, budget and timing vary from
project to project. So each translation project may require a
different approach. The solution is to find a group that will work
with you to meet your needs, the needs of the project, but still
comply with quality measurements and your protocols.

- Please feel free to contact me for additional information,
presentations on the issue and resources. Here are some resources you
can access in the Internet:

- Developing, Translating and Reviewing Spanish Materials-
Recommended Standards for State and Local Agencies. http://
www.ncpublichealth.com/pdf_misc/DEVSPAN-web.pdf

- Hablemos Juntos - Developing Quality Spanish Language
Materials. Hablemos Juntos will be featuring soon some good tools and
guides for organizations. Stay tuned.

http://www.hablamosjuntos.org/sm/default.index.asp
- A patient centered guide to implementing language access
services in healthcare organizations by DHHS-Office of Minority
Health. http://www.omhrc.gov/Assets/pdf/Checked/HC-LSIG.pdf

Aracely Rosales, President
Plain Language and Culture
a division of Rosales Communications