[HealthLiteracy 1757] Re: National translation standards?

Lisa Bernstein

lisab at whattoexpect.org
Fri Feb 8 09:30:18 EST 2008

Yes, one can translate Spanish into a dialect that can be understood across
cultures - but it takes an excellent translator who really understands the
different dialects (and as importantly healthcare)-- for example in some
South American countries the common way of describing a pregnant woman is,
in another country, the way to describe a pregnant cow!

If you are looking for help Aracely Rosales of Rosales Communications is the
lady to talk to. She translated our Baby Basics into Spanish as Hola Bebe,
and did focus groups and very carefully made sure she didn't hit any
language landmines. She specializes in medical translation. (I promise I
don't receive a percentage of her sales - this is just my passionate
endorsement of real talent.)

We've also recently published Xiao Biao Biao the Chinese version of Baby
Basics - in partnership with the Charles B. Wang Community Health Center in
Chinatown (NYC). They too were able to create a written chinese that
transcended the different dialects. Many of the same characters will be
pronounced differently based on the regional dialect, but it will be read
the same. Again, if you are looking for Chinese translation (and they
helped a great deal with many, many cultural changes too) they have an
excellent translation team.

In other words, use the best or no va. (that's the great story where the
NOVA car was not selling in South America and they all scratchd their heads
at the car company until someone told them NOVA meant NO GO in spanish!)

--
Lisa Bernstein
Executive Director

Providing prenatal health and literacy support so that women in need know
what to expect when expecting.