[HealthLiteracy 1708] Re: On-line health literacy training programs

Lisa Bernstein

lisab at whattoexpect.org
Wed Jan 23 17:53:44 EST 2008

We are developing a very specific Baby Basics health literacy training
for the Doctors, Midwives, and Nurses that will be using the
Baby Basics materials, tools and strategies during prenatal care. It will
be mandatory for all healthcare providers that are at a site implementing
the Baby Basics Program - with a pre and post test, followed by ongoing
evaluation.

The training will not only address the health literacy needs of underserved
families, but will also put their cultural needs into context - helping
providers (we hope) understand the big picture challenges faced by
their patients and giving providers tools and strategies for building
relationships with patients and communicate more effectively.

A grant from the Marcks Family Foundation has helped us develop the
training, and a New York State Health Foundation Grant will help us
implement and evaluate at 6 healthcenters in NYC.

( We're working to make it funny too!)

--
Lisa Bernstein
Executive Director

Providing prenatal health and literacy support so that women in need know
what to expect when expecting.