[EnglishLanguage 4786] Re: critical thinking

Sledd, Lee

lsledd at tacomacc.edu
Tue Aug 11 16:16:55 EDT 2009

I agree with Steve's take on the primary role of the teacher; to paraphase, it is a supporting and coaching role. The conferences I have with students to discuss their needs and goals and experience as learners are a prime example in my practice. And my own language learning experience also confirms the primacy of exposure. However, I cannot discount the value of 'old-school' grammar and vocabulary building. On their own, they do not lead to fluency; but those students who rely exclusively on immersion develop bad habits, have significant gaps and can become complacent about 'getting by' which may function at a certain level but lead to later difficulties. Guiding students to appropriate material for exposure is indeed an important role for teachers- but when I am learning a language I also want an instructor who can explain points of grammar, give me tips for pronunciation (beyond simply modeling) and otherwise inform my learning through explicit instruction. Learning Thai, I benefited tremendously from very mechanical, nearly meaningless substitution drills- and learning Spanish, grammar drills do aid in memorizing verb forms. Nothing beats immersion, but for the record I am not a Krashen purist. Providing material for input does not eliminate the need for expertise in other areas in which we are reasonably expected to be informed. Being able to field a grammar question or provide feedback on an essay is part of what I would operationalize in defining 'support' and 'guidance'.

Lee Sledd
ESL Instructor
Madison Family Literacy
a partnership of Tacoma Community College and Tacoma Public Schools
253-571-1887