[EnglishLanguage 4778] Re: critical thinking

Michael Gyori

tesolmichael at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 10 19:34:11 EDT 2009

Hello Steve,

I was in no way claiming that one person can change another's way of thinking, nor was I claiming the contrary. That was not my intended message.

My point was only to say that the United States had, to the best of my knowledge by design, an influence on the post-WWII lifestyle in Japan, especially in terms of the work "ethic" and its corollary emphasis on teamwork.  I'll leave it open as to whether this has led to a change in thinking, and if so, on whose part.  You may refer to John Dower's pulitzer prize winning book, Embracing Defeat: Japan in the Wake of World War II for a sense of the unprecedented effort at sociopolitical and economic "engineering" of one country by another.

I remain at a loss as to what you mean by, The language teacher should focus on language.  I would be delighted if you took the time to elaborate on what you believe constitutes "language" (and "culture" for that matter), so that I, and perhaps others, could latch on to your thoughts and run with it to hopefully new territory and insights.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael A. Gyori
www.mauilanguage.com