[EnglishLanguage 4671] Re: Second vs. foreign language instruction

Andrea Wilder

andreawilder at comcast.net
Thu Jul 30 12:01:39 EDT 2009

I challenge the prevailing orthodoxy--in my head.

In practice, I try to locate a student's interest and expand on it.
Not hard when the student is trying to succeed academically. 2 thoughts

1. This summer I am working with 2 more Thai students, they are
studying English word meanings for the GRE. They ask me questions
about words and word usage. and I help them out with simple
definitions, sentences which use the words, or full explanations
when an understanding of context will help them use English words
properly. They are both in the sciences, which translate more easily
across cultural linguistic boundaries.

2. Teaching low literate American students brings a lot of other
issues with it, for example, why are these students low literate?
Where did they go to school? Were they tracked? This doesn't have to
come up in lessons, but it may influence how they feel about coming
to class--are they afraid? How do I work with that so the student
stays in school?

Andrea