[EnglishLanguage 4645] Re: computers for families programs+learnerempowerment

Steve Kaufmann

steve at thelinguist.com
Wed Jul 29 13:20:07 EDT 2009

I am a little confused by all of this. Are the learners educated in their L1
and pursuing academic studies in the US, as Andrea suggests? I that case I
think that it is not their English coach that should teach them critical
thinking. This is something that they will learn from their various courses,
if their English skills are good enough. So I would focus on language.
Finding out who contributes what to electoral campaigns is irrelevant to
academic pursuits.

Are the learners unschooled people like those folks from Appalachia, as
Glenda says? If so I think there are many things to learn before critical
thinking enters the equation. Again, the ability to read will really help
them access information about blood types and DNA and other facts of life.

Is critical thinking really about helping non-native speakers navigate
American ways of thinking as MaryAnn says? Do teachers really not judge
these other ways of thinking?

What if the roles were reversed and MaryAnn were studying in a society were
the norm was not to question the views of authority figures, especially as a
woman? Would she conform to that cultural norm as part of learning the
language? Or would she still try to be who she was, based on her accumulated
cultural background and experience? Would she not just concentrate on the
language, and although aware of the different norms in that society, cling
to her own belief system? Would she not resent a language teacher telling
her how to think?

When I tell people outside this listserve that English and literacy teachers
see their role as one of teaching critical thinking, higher level thinking
and effecting social change, most listeners are appalled. I am not saying
that their view is correct, but here I hear very few voices here to
challenge the prevailing ideology, which suggests to me that there is not
very much critical thinking taking place. Is no one here just interested in
improving the learners' language skills?

--
Steve Kaufmann
www.thelinguist.blogs.com