[EnglishLanguage 4350] Re: Using group games to teach the present continuous - a video and questions.

Glenda Lynn Rose

glyndalin at yahoo.com
Thu May 21 16:18:53 EDT 2009

Regarding the video.

Theoretically and in experience I completely agree with the instructor.  The more we can do to mediate the effect of affect, the better!

Obervation:  His class is very young overall.  I find it easier to get younger students to engage in these activities.  My students (mostly moms of PK to 12th graders) seem to prefer problem-based or project-based group activities (collaborative learning) - Team Scavenger Hunts (real world, print,  or cyberspace).  Older students seem to prefer "Find someone who" and other bingo-type games.

USUALLY, for any kind of games, I find that if I "go first" (like when we do a mock fashion show), it sets the tone.  The sillier I act, the more likely they are to "let go" and enjoy themselves.  Of course, I probably wouldn't let anyone put that on video......

Grace and Peace!
Glenda Lynn Rose, PhD

ESL Instructor
Austin Learning Academy