[EnglishLanguage 4293] Re: using group games to teach the presentcontinuous tense - discussion begins now.

Cheryl Thornett

cherylthornett at hotmail.com
Tue May 19 01:17:50 EDT 2009

Hi,

I make no apologies for teaching explicit grammar, but this is one of many points where usage is at least as important as form. Along with Janet, I think it is important to contrast using present simple for regular or habitual activities and present continuous as the form to use for current or temporary activities.

This is coming up soon in one of my classes, as it happens. A street or neighbourhood scene is good, or any pictures of everyday situations and activities, and I have a couple of pictures which represent apartments with neighbours doing different things. After the teacher models the language, the students can continue describing the actions of the people-or even objects in the picture. Depending on the students, this could be all he is -ing, she is -ing as a start or a mixture of persons and numbers. I like to do things like this as pair work, so students can decide together what the people in a picture are doing, and then report to the group to get maximum speaking practice. (The pictures can be photographs, newspaper or magazine illustrations, ads, almost anything.) Spot-the-difference pictures are good for this, too, once students have the basic form. Miming is another game activity, although not all adults are comfortable with this, or cumulative repetition-Today we are learning English..Today we are sitting and learning English.. Today we are speaking and sitting and learning English-and the same could be done with a picture prompt and again, the model can be varied according to the group and previous knowledge.

Simple prompts such as those Janet suggested are good for making the simple-continuous distinction. Every day I.. Today I am.., or picture prompts. If students have at least basic literacy, I often give them cut up sentences to rearrange (as pair work) rather than the traditional exercise of rewriting a jumbled sentence. This allows experimentation and gets students talking to each other. When they are happy with their sentences, they can write them out. (This is accuracy work, and I would be encouraging use of the appropriate auxiliary.) Or gap filling exercises can be adapted in this way. There is plenty of computer-based work of this sort, but I'm sure I'm not the only teacher who doesn't have regular access to computers in class. (I use cut-up sentences a lot, and I find colour, such as blue for subjects and red for verbs or perhaps for the auxiliaries, helps. Also, in mixed-level groups, the complexity or number of sentences can be varied.)

Many of my students over-use present continuous, as this matches the pattern of their first languages (Urdu, Gujarati, Hindi and Bangladeshi predominate), so I really stress the use and do a lot of contrast exercises. Today I am having lunch at my sister's house, but I usually have lunch at home. I usually leave work at 6, but today I am working late.

Another, later, step is to bring in the idea of using present continuous with a future meaning, and how we use context or time references to show this.

Cheryl Thornett
ESOL & Literacy tutor
Birmingham UK Adult Education