[EnglishLanguage 4142] Re: Crossroads Cafe

Holly Dilatush

holly at dilatush.com
Thu Apr 16 08:33:11 EDT 2009

Dan, all,
I concur with Dan's brief notes (copied below) -- we found that reviewing
previous episodes brought lots of "a ha!" lightbulb moments, new questions,
new understandiings, much fun! So, with the first 10 or so, we'd play
"Who's your favorite character?" / Episode 1 (name of episode): Describe a
scene from this episode with your two characters in it (students work
together to describe to class) -- then students "act" that scene, then
replay the segment from the DVD that theyve just talked about and
re-enacted -- great review and confidence/competence builder.

I found the episodes (and the students' input) to be neverending prompts for
supplementary activities. There's a neighborhood watch episode that has
brought many a real-life question/concern/story out -- high relevance story
lines.

Definitely _not_ a "watch it in class, talk about it, done" kind of thing.
Volunteers I've used have enjoyed watching the DVDs and have found family
literacy connections (for native English speakers too) worthwhile.
Volunteers I've used have enjoyed listening to students retell the story --
learners have found that highly beneficial -- especially when the volunteer
has _not_ seen the episode -- because then they can help each other
retell/remember, they _have_ to make their pronunciation clear enough to
bring understanding, they have the photostories to fall back upon if they
must (but oh, how happy they are when they don't have to look at them, when
they can retell without that crutch!!).

Crossroads Cafe, though not perfect, has much to offer, in many different
ways, to many different learning styles, to many different teaching styles.

Project Ideal has useful info to: http://projectideal.org
Holly