[EnglishLanguage 4015] Re: Credentialing for adult ESOL teachers

pbalsamo at luzerne.edu

Mon Mar 9 14:10:20 EDT 2009

I am interested in knowing if anyone hires teachers in adult ESL programs
(credit and noncredit) who hold the CELTA (Certificate in English Language
Teaching to Adults ) certification. For a description of CELTA go to this
website: http://www.teachinghouse.com/course/celta.html

Thanks, pb

Peter P. Balsamo, Ph.D.
Chief GED Examiner and Director
of Community Outreach; Director of
Project Success Grant
Luzerne County Community College
Corporate Learning Center
2 Public Square
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701-1992
Phone: 570-822-3728
FAX: 570-822-6171
E-mail: pbalsamo at luzerne.edu
www.luzerne.edu

robinschwarz1 at aol.com
Sent by: englishlanguage-bounces at nifl.gov
03/09/2009 12:59 PM
Please respond to
The Adult English Language Learners Discussion List
<englishlanguage at nifl.gov>

englishlanguage at nifl.gov
cc

Subject
[EnglishLanguage 4014] Re: Credentialing for adult ESOL teachers

Kimberly and Glenda Lynn--thank you VERY much for sharing your
information. I believe Wisconsin has an arrangement very similar to that
of Minnesota-- certification in K-12 ESOL permits a teacher to teach adult
ESOL. I agree with Kimberly that it is unfortunate that K-12
certification is considered adequate--even desirable-- for teaching adult
ESOL when those of us who have taught at both settings know the issues are
often extremely different. Even more important is that I believe adult
ESOL educators should have a firm grounding in adult pedagogy as well as
adult language acquisition.

This information is VERY helpful to our thinking. It is encouraging that
there is an increasing expectation that adult educators will continue
their PD and will be increasingly expected to have some training or
education about teaching adults.

Thanks again for helping us out! Robin Lovrien Schwarz