[EnglishLanguage 3900] Re: past progressive

Steinbacher Mikal

Mikal.Steinbacher at lwtc.edu
Sun Feb 15 13:48:27 EST 2009

My first reaction was gerunds, but after studying the sentence, I think the reader would have to assume "I was". They aren't acting as subjects or objects.. which would be the role of gerunds. Hmmm .. if you reverse that clause: daydreaming and ignoring their conversation, I gazed lazily out the window. ... does that change anything? I have no clue!

Good question. I run into the same question when I use a nonsense word paragraph to prove to students that they can answer questions without knowing what many of the words mean. We then try to decide what part of speech the silly words are.. and some are tough!

Mikal Steinbacher
Instructor, ABE/ESL/English
Lake Washington Technical College