[EnglishLanguage 3799] Re: The divorce of language from meaning

Glenda Lynn Rose

glyndalin at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 31 18:54:37 EST 2009

I agree.  I tell my students that all languages have parts that are easy and parts that are difficult.  For Spanish speakers, learning sounds used in English that are not used in Spanish, and the more intricate and inconsistent spelling rules, may make it harder in the beginning...but then let's talk about forms of the past tense in Spanish (around 32 forms -? (simple, imperfect, subjunctive conjugated for person and number) as opposed to English (1 for, which also doubles for the past participle except in some irregular verbs).

I also point out that it always seems that people talk really fast in the target language.  It is true some speakers DO talk faster than others (I have a girlfriend from Reynosa that I have to beg to slow down or speak English), but in general it only seems that way because of the many unknown words and differences in listening systems (English is based on sentence stress - Spanish on word-level (syllable) stress, which means we can "reduce" syllables that do not carry important information.)

I also tell them that I KNOW they can learn English, because they've already learned a language - Spanish.  Yes, I know that L1 and L2 acquisition are significantly different, but my students are not linguists and they NEED TO BELIEVE they are able to succeed.  I tell them the only students I know of that never learned were those that gave up (which, by the way, is only partially true...even those that quit had learned something.)

Finally, I remind them that for a baby to get to adult-level speech in his/her first language takes around 9-12 years.  I tell them adults have an advantage, because they are experienced problem solvers, so they can become quite proficient in just three years.  I stress they will not go from "no English" to "Excellent English" all at once, but that it will be ever-improving English (even when they don't particularly feel like they are improving), so they must be patient with themselves.

Grace and Peace!
Glenda Lynn Rose, PhD

Instructor,
Austin Learning Academy