[EnglishLanguage 3719] Re: ESL for low literacy students

robinschwarz1 at aol.com

Wed Jan 28 20:38:27 EST 2009

Barbara-- I missed this yesterday when I was reading and responding.? This is terrific and right in line with quite a few studies showing that one behavior typical of non-literate adults is that they do not scan visual fields in any systematic way unlike literate adults, who scan according to whatever system they have learned in (L to R, top to bottom, R to Left) .? You have given some wonderfully concrete ways to address this training.? I find that this lack of scanning habit extends for a long time-- I think? I wrote yesterday about a lady I tutor who has great difficulty even after several semesters of school and after teaching herself to read.? When she looks at a page with activities on it, she is as likely to start at the bottom as the top and she sees no logic yet in those exercises that have you look at a model in the left column and then find something similar or opposite or whatever in the row to the right.? She goes all over the page!? I will try this with her next week!?? Robin Lovrien Schwarz