[EnglishLanguage 3584] Re: Working withlearners withlimitedliteracy - posted for Martha Bigelow

Dottie

dottie at shattuck.net
Mon Jan 26 17:59:58 EST 2009

Right, Joan!
Refugees are REQUIRED to work within 30-120 days (if we ever get jobs again!). Simply listening to English isn't an option.
At least 1/3 of my refugee adult clients (I see 100+ per year) have little or no literacy in 1st language. In their 1st 1-3 mos. in the US, I must help them acquire -- at least -- low level speaking & reading skills as well as writing their personal info, even if they are non-literate.

Silence is a luxury they do NOT have.

Dottie Shattuck
HIAS NC
Charlotte, NC