[EnglishLanguage 3510] Motivation in Learning

Rosemary Dill

rhdill at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 16:19:40 EST 2009

One of the first things I ask my ESL 1 and ESL 2 students  every semester is "Why are you here?" Of course their first reply is that they want to improve their English.  I then tell them they have to have a more definite goal if they want the class to work for them.  Students who have specific goals ( a job, a job promotion, communicating with their doctor, etc) will do better than those with a nebulous goal.
Rosemary