[EnglishLanguage 3498] Re: oral vs reading traditions

Steve Kaufmann

steve at thelinguist.com
Sun Jan 18 19:06:46 EST 2009

Tom,

Do you recommend different writing systems for each regional accent? In
French this would mean a Quebecois writing system,a Parisian writing
system, a Toulouse writing system, or in English a Texas writing system, a
London writing system, a Boston writing system, a Yorkshire writing system
and all the shades of difference in between.

Listening to recordings is more useful. I have studied 12 languages and only
rely on the sound. I never use any phonetic script. I do not trust them. I
trust what I hear, and then I connect that to the script that I see.

I admire your enthusiasm but I do not understand the usefulness of
truespel.

Steve Kaufmann
www.lingq.com