[EnglishLanguage 3484] Re: Motivation in language learning

Glenda Lynn Rose

glyndalin at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 17 19:12:34 EST 2009

I would say that this may be one of the areas that distinguishes ESL from EFL.  It is highly unusual for me to have an unmotivated student.  Some have to leave the program for a while for personal reasons, but they almost always return as soon as they are able.  The sacrifice significant amounts of time and energy learning English, although understanding my students' lives, I make it pefectly clear that "homework" may be done at the following class period if there is not time to do it at home - without any fear of negative consequences (a difference between adult ed ESL and college level, I suspect).

Grace and Peace!
Glenda Lynn Rose, PhD

Instuctor,
Austin Learning Academy