[EnglishLanguage 3181] Re: ESL Teacher Training

Martin Senger

MSenger at GECAC.org
Tue Dec 2 08:16:23 EST 2008

Pax all!

My biggest problem with requiring an ESL instructor to be very
knowledgeable in their students' languages is that it would be very
difficult for almost every ESL instructor I know, for the simple reason
that we all have several languages in our classes. Do I try to
understand their languages' systems? Yes. But to actually be "fluent" in
any aspect in all of them (speaking, reading, writing, listening,
grammar) would be asking much indeed!

I also feel it is more important that we can explain and teach our own
language system (the "E" in "ESL), and we only have so much time for
professional development!

And one final warning: I also feel that it is a slippery slope once you
start relying on one language to teach another.

Ciao!

Martin E. Senger
Adult ESL / Civics Teacher,
G.E.C.A.C. / The R. Banjamin Wiley Learning Center
Erie, Pa.
ESL Co-Director,
Pa. Assoc. for Adult Continuing Education (PAACE)