[EnglishLanguage 3176] Re: ESL Teacher Training

Barber, Jennifer

jbarber at ghc.edu
Mon Dec 1 14:29:30 EST 2008

Joyce - what is your email?

Jennifer Barber
English as a Second Language

Grays Harbor College
1620 Edward P. Smith Drive
Office: 2214
Aberdeen, WA 98520
360-538-2516
jbarber at ghc.edu
www.ghc.edu/faculty/barber

________________________________

From: englishlanguage-bounces at nifl.gov on behalf of Joyce Bogdan
Sent: Sat 11/29/2008 10:48 AM
To: The Adult English Language Learners Discussion List
Subject: [EnglishLanguage 3164] Re: ESL Teacher Training

Lynda,
Yes, I think that the ESOL English for Speakers of Other Languages programs do adequately prepare teachers. Mine is a MA in education from UConn, Univ. of Connecticut-the certification is bilingual/bicultural ESOL N, K-12, adults. It is a master program which includes teaching ESOL students, methods, strategies, materials, practical application, validating cultures, learning about cultural expectations, linguistics, statistics, brain studies that relate to language acquisition, additional language acquistion in the theories and methods. I also have completed a 6th year in additional coursework with reading, differentiated instruction,etc.

My students usually are from about 14 different language groups during one year. Even between Spanish speaking students there is a range of cultural similarities and differences. I have taught all levels (grade and ESOL levels). I presently teach middle school, adult beginners and am a university instructor to mainstream teachers. This year many of my students are from Nepal and Tibet.

If you are interested in a 3 credit Independent Studies graduate course "Teaching English for Speakers of Other Languages (TELLs") that you can complete at home, e-mail me directly. It is from Chapman University in CA.
Joyce Bogdan
ESOL teacher