[EnglishLanguage 3171] Re: ESL Teacher Training

Holly Dilatush

holly at dilatush.com
Mon Dec 1 11:59:30 EST 2008

Holly's two cents worth:

re: "What is troubling to me is a recent trend I am witnessing and that is
in ESL programs, many schools want bilingual teachers."

As an adult ESOL educator, and from personal experience, I offer this: I
took 5 years of French in high school. In my early 40s I returned to
complete an undergraduate degree (double major Education and English, with a
minor in Linguistics) and have been on a nonstop intensive professional
development trail since then. Several years ago I realized that adult
education was for me, and ESOL the niche that keeps me happy. After three
years of adult ESOL teaching, however, despite all the PD I'd immersed
myself in -- I knew I was not the teacher I should be, and would never be,
without a firsthand language and cultural immersion experience. So, at age
50 I lived for a year in South Korea, learned Korean, experienced culture
shock and the headaches of learning to live in another language. It was
wonderful! I remain convinced that I am a (much) better instructor because
of it. And I definitely teach students from many other first languages
besides Korean.

I felt inept on too many levels without this experience. I am an advocate
for, whenever possible, hiring ESOL educators who have 'lived' in another
culture with another language.

I agree that bilingualism in and of itself is not a guaranteed 'better
qualified' moniker -- and especially agree that one does not need to speak a
learner's native language to meaningfully guide that learner in learning
English. But do agree there *can be advantages!*
great discussion,
Holly