[EnglishLanguage 3154] Re: Is there a study or site that has researched how immigrants access information about available ELL programs?

Judy Rittenhouse

jrittenhouse at projecteaston.org
Mon Nov 24 11:04:02 EST 2008

At our community-based adult ed program, ESL student recruitment is
(almost entirely) by word of mouth. Staff from other agencies have said
this, too. The result, of course, is that one first-language dominates
among the population we serve.

Another literacy program in the Lehigh Valley, finds a consistent
response to flyers (in several languages) hung up twice a year in scores
of local businesses and agencies. The agency's staff places the flyers
personally; they do not mail them to the sites.

Here's an insight from a program in NYC: Their students' first-nation
profiles closely follow the language capability of the program's office
staff, i.e. fluent Russian in the office results in Russian students.

Judy Rittenhouse, Tutor Coordinator, ProJeCt of Easton, PA