[EnglishLanguage 2875] Re: citizenship

christie moore

scrivenerplus at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 13:27:03 EDT 2008

The US is seen by most other countries as the big market economy, where, if one is willing to work, lots of money can be made.  Hollywood plays a big part in making life here seem heavenly.  The country is also the last of the superpowers and its military might is continually being seen in so many parts of the world.  People come here because they want to be part of that dream, or perhaps they see it as merely being preferable to where they live.  Cultural diversity looks good in theory, but it doesn't seem to really apply in practice. I continually hear disquieting news, where I live, through emails and in the media, about how 'differences' are abhorred: second-generation Irish neighbours who know nothing about Ireland, its language or its customs; people who confidently state that if a black president was voted in, he would be shot within days; the children who are embarrassed when their parents can't speak English; the parents themselves who seem
'beaten down' by their inability to blend; to name just a few.

Students in my class generally don't wish to talk about their own lands, because they see them as a little poor in relation to this land.  However, they do love talking about their children and their families and strive for the English to do this.  Also I have found they learn a little faster when I take the trouble to use their languages, where possible, in explaining why certain English words and phrases are used.

Regards,

Christie