[EnglishLanguage 2811] Re: citizenship

Steve Kaufmann

steve at thelinguist.com
Fri Sep 19 12:07:34 EDT 2008

Kearney,

I agree entirely with you. Language learning is all about imitating part of
the behaviour patterns of a different cultural group. There has to be a
desire to belong to that group. I know, I have done it many times.

We are surrounded these days by people promoting "diversity" as some kind of
ideal or goal. I do not see the benefit. The history of the US, and despite
ideological claims to the contrary, here in Canada, has been based on the
melting pot model, with intermarriage and interculturation being the norm in
successive generations.

I am not American, but I believe that if the goal is to teach immigrants
English, English speaking American society, needs to be held up us a group
that exists, has a history and positive values, and is worthwhile joining.
The diversity part, the gathering together in their own groups, sticking
with their original culture etc. need not be encouraged, it will happen
anyway amongst the first generation immigrant.

The immigrants are all aware of "la difference". I agree with Martin that
if immigrants lead their lives in Chinese or Spanish, the classroom time is
just an artificial language environment that will have little impact on
their language development. The challenge is to encourage them to get
involved with the mainstream society, culture and language in their daily
lives. Not an easy task, but a more important task than any specifics of the
language that are taught in class.

Language learning is largely a question of attitude.

--
Steve Kaufmann
www.lingq.com