[EnglishLanguage 2618] Re: Sheltered English for Adults?

Kirsten Schaetzel

kschaetzel at cal.org
Wed Jun 11 12:17:55 EDT 2008

Hi, Jennifer,

Can I suggest some of the briefs and digests on our (The Center for Adult English Language Acquisition) Web site? We have used the following in our professional development activities for teachers of adult English language learners and they have worked well:

Supporting Adult English Language Learners' Transitions to Postsecondary Education
http://www.cal.org/caela/esl_resources/briefs/transition.html

How Should Adult ESL Reading Instruction Differ from ABE Reading Instruction?
http://www.cal.org/caela/esl_resources/briefs/readingdif.html

Beginning to Work with Adult English Language Learners: Some Considerations
http://www.cal.org/caela/esl_resources/digests/beginQA.html

Also, since you will be doing professional development, you might find our Framework for Quality Professional Development for Practitioners Working With Adult English Language Learners helpful. It's on our new project Web site, the Center for Adult English Language Acquisition Network

http://www.cal.org/caelanetwork/

Follow the link in the middle of the page.

Best wishes for your coming professional development--
Kirsten

Kirsten Schaetzel, Ph.D.
Center for Adult English Language Network
Center for Applied Linguistics
4646 40th St. NW
Washington, DC 20016
kschaetzel at cal.org