[EnglishLanguage 2573] Re: ESL Reading - 2 or 3 things we know for sure

Anthony Berry

aberryesq at hotmail.co.uk
Thu May 22 11:27:53 EDT 2008

There is a very readable article which explains how we travel along the road from being ethnocentric to ethonorelative at
http://www.teaminternational.net/Resources/Docs/IDI.pdf.

Enjoy

Anthony Berry

Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 08:53:30 -0500From: alcrofford at okcps.orgTo: englishlanguage at nifl.gov; dezreen at excite.com; englishlanguage at nifl.govCC: djacks1 at tacoma.k12.wa.usSubject: [EnglishLanguage 2571] Re: ESL Reading - 2 or 3 things we know for sure

Dr. Culbertson from Southern Nazarene University has a page on culture shock and things to help get through it.

http://home.snu.edu/~hculbert/shock.htm

Sometimes we think we are doing poorly in our adjustment when we might be doing well. A friend was at the downtown post office in Cotonou, Benin one day when several people "budged" in line. By her words, she lost it and told everyone where they actually belonged which was not in front of her! She felt terrible. Later a Beninese friend who was there unbeknownst to her said, "Ah, you are finally becoming an African. No Beninese woman would have allowed that either!" She was judging herself by her own (Canadian) culture and found herself lacking. He judged her by local standards and thought she was great.

Amy Crofford

From: englishlanguage-bounces at nifl.gov on behalf of Sledd, LeeSent: Wed 5/21/2008 5:20 PMTo: dezreen at excite.com; The Adult English Language Learners Discussion ListCc: AvisSubject: [EnglishLanguage 2568] Re: ESL Reading - 2 or 3 things we know for sure

"the possibility of mental illness/low grade depression and how to suggest health services. This is a culturally loaded area, so has to be dealt with carefully."

I'd love to hear more on how you handle this. Depression is common and I often do class readings about it; just acknowledging and discussing it makes the topic safe for conversation or conferences.

However, we had a student who recently left our program recently with some apparent paranoia- thought other students were talking about her, thought her teacher was angry with her, etc. Despite our best efforts, she left- and now she has also left the other program we referred her to. I am less sure how we can handle this.

Lee Sledd
Madison Family Literacy, ESL
Tacoma Community College
253-571-1887

From: kathleen morganSent: Wed 5/14/2008 7:01 AMTo: englishlanguage at nifl.govSubject: [EnglishLanguage 2442] Re: ESL Reading - 2 or 3 things we know for sure
In my experience, helping students understand how the class curriculum ties to their life and helping them set short and long term goals is a good place to start.

Many low L1 and L2 literacy students (HS) and parents I have worked with who were illiterate were also very adept at hiding their lack of skills. In teaching or working with them, I worked hard to focus on what they knew how to do and kept the list of what we were going to work in future lesson short to keep their stress low.

I've also become more aware of the possibility of mental illness/low grade depression and how to suggest health services. This is a culturally loaded area, so has to be dealt with carefully.

Kathleen
Telluride CO