[EnglishLanguage 2481] Re: Reading and Adult EnglishLanguageLearners

Steinbacher Mikal

Mikal.Steinbacher at lwtc.edu
Thu May 15 09:25:11 EDT 2008

I also encourage my students to purchase an English only dicitionary. I recommend the Longman Dictionary of American English and the Oxford ESL Dictionary, both of which have a CD for pronunciation and some exercises too. The Oxford is quite a bit cheaper. The college has several class sets of the Longman dictionary. We use the dictionary often in class when a student asks the meaning of a word. I first give them "Mikal's" definition .. and then ask one of the students to check me in the dictionary.. I teach low intermediate to advanced multinational students. This practice gives them the opportunitiy to use the dictionary and me the opportunity to give mini lessons on how to use the dictionary and useful the dictionary can be.

Mikal Steinbacher
Instructor, ABE/ESL/English
Lake Washington Technical College