[EnglishLanguage 2475] creating language awareness and strategies for making complex ideas accessible

Wrigley, Heide

heide at literacywork.com
Thu May 15 00:25:21 EDT 2008

Good evening/good morning

I'm loath to jump in at this point. As we've seen in the Portland ESL
Lab school, when "students" are given a task, it is best to NOT jump in
as they are interacting or trying to solve a problem - once you do, the
interaction changes as students look at you, the teacher as the expert,
instead of seeing each other as a resource. Once the task has been
completed, the teacher role comes back into play - providing feedback,
extending insights, highlighting language etc ((I am paraphrasing here).

And since the discussion seems to be in full swing, let me just
highlight a few points that jumped out at me as I was reading the posts.
So let me just summarize a couple.

1. Non=literate learners need different approaches that do those who
have literacy skills in the native language. Non-literate learners
nevertheless have linguistic resources (internalized knowledge of how
their own language works). As teachers or tutors we can build on that
knowledge, and we are doing way too little of it. Just as we can engage
students in talking about their town or their family because this is
what they know, we can engage them in thinking about their own language
as a bridge to English. Linguistics talks about the importance of
"language awareness" and "language curiosity" - helping students to see
how language works by becoming aware of how they say things in their
language and how the language to be learned might be similar or
different - how are words put together - are their pre-fixes and
suffixes and what do they indicate? And isn'[t it interesting that
English needs two words to show that something is very big or very
little when a language like Spanish can do so in one word? Helping
students see patterns in the language they use and the language they
learn can help create such an awareness.

2. Once students have a certain threshold level of literacy, feeding the
hunger for more reading becomes fun and time to just read is important -
as is making it possible for students to grew in new directions that we
may have never imagined. If we always try to control the content and
pace of what students read, how will they ever get ahead of us. Getting
there, is the challenge, of course. I am of the firm opinion that by
following textbooks that focus almost exclusively on life skills (so
that Level 5 doesn't look all that different from level 2) we are vastly
underestimating what students can read and talk about when there is a
"need to know" and a desire to tell.

But how do we get there? Perhaps we can also talk a bit about the kind
of scaffolding you provide to make more abstract ideas and difficult
words and concepts accessible to students? The discussion has already
focused on a number of strategies that help students "get a text" before
they even start looking at print (pre-telling the text or story using
sketches, story boarding or various forms of Chalk Talk; mind mapping
and pre-teaching key vocabulary; using high interest materials that are
easily accessible (personal stories) as a bridge to more complex ideas
(why people leave one country to go to another; what it means to be
uprooted; the push and pull factors of immigration). Are there others
that have worked for you or do you have specific examples that show your
being successful with hone of those strategies?

In terms of practical examples, how do you work with the news in your
classes (print, radio, TV?) Are you using the news about the disasters
in Myanmar and in China as jumping off points for reading, discussion
and language work? How so or why not? What do you do to build
comprehension skills?

We've started talking a bit about the importance of "word study" and
helping students develop vocabulary, and showing them how they can make
friends with words and remember them - it's not that easy once you go
beyond high frequency every day words. What strategies have worked for
you?