[HealthLiteracy 404] Re: Results of NAAL Health

Zarcadoolas, Christina

christina.zarcadoolas at mssm.edu
Wed Sep 13 09:58:11 EDT 2006

Regarding the role of women- I use these references to make the argument.

Women as health care consumers ( need to tie this together)

"As the main organizers of family health care, women’s understanding and action on health problems are central to health improvement (Lorber, 1995). The feminization of poverty (Ballara, 1996), as well as the roles that women play in the intergenerational transfer of language, literacy and learning (Sticht and McDonald, 1989) suggest that a focus on women’s health literacy is an essential."

Chris

Christina Zarcadoolas PhD
Health and Environmental Literacy
Dept. of Community and Preventive Medicine
Mt. Sinai School of Medicine
Box 1043
One Gustave Levy Place
New York, NY 10029