[HealthLiteracy 335] Re: Improving communication with patients - reply

David Rosen

djrosen at comcast.net
Mon Aug 14 15:52:08 EDT 2006

Nancy,

I wonder if your students have mobile (cell) phones. Many people do,
including many adult learners. Mobile phones are beginning to merge
with other technologies. Many mobile phones now have web access and
MP3 players. This trend is accelerating. Within the next few months
or years it will be common for mobile phones to have web access. So
adult learners with mobile phones, like others, could -- if they were
shown how -- access the same visuals that medical practitioners
showed them on handhelds in the clinic. I had a conversation today
with a major commercial provider of adult learning videos about adult
learning instruction videos on handhelds. I believe that many (all)
of the commercial providers soon will be looking at how to deliver
instruction through mobile phones. Granted, people over the age of
30 may not find it all that attractive to read screens the size of
mobile phone screens -- I am one of those -- but if the application
is designed for a mobile phone, and if the need is great, and if they
are easy to use, we probably will.

I wonder if members on this list who work in health care environments
are seeing doctors, nurses or others using handhelds with web access,
including mobile phones, as a routine part of their healthcare work.

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net