[HealthLiteracy 253] Re: readability level software

Aracely Rosales

aracely at plculture.org
Tue Jun 27 16:33:35 EDT 2006

I agree Julie. I would say, that it is not only just ideal, but more of
a best practice to assess the target group before developing any
message and test after the development. It is following these two steps
that help us make sure the message is clear, acceptable, and reflective
of cultural nuances for the audience. We are an organization that
supports these and other best practices in developing plain language,
health literacy appropriate messages and educational programs for
diverse audiences. Although I am not familiar with the mentioned
software and do not know how helpful it is. Still, you are right there
are many factors besides simplifying or reducing the amount of text
even for the general population.

Aracely Rosales,
Plain Language and Culture, Inc.
510 Carpenter Lane