[HealthLiteracy 199] Discussion next week: Health Literacy Study Circles+

Julie McKinney

julie_mcKinney at worlded.org
Mon Jun 12 14:01:12 EDT 2006

Hi Everyone,

I am happy to announce a discussion next week on this list! We will be
talking about the Health Literacy Study Circles+, a series of
facilitator guides, which introduces teachers to a skills-based approach
to Health Literacy.

The facilitator guides are published by the National Center for the
Study of Adult Learning and Literacy (NCSALL), and are designed to
"Provide teachers with stuctured opportunities to explore... health care
access and navigation, chronic disease managment, and disease prevention
and screening," with adults with lower literacy levels.

Our guest speakers will be Winston Lawrence, senior professional
development associate with the Literacy Assistance Center in New York
City, and Lisa Soricone, a research associate and former fellow at the
National Center for the Study of Adult Learning and Literacy (NCSALL).

Together they piloted these study circles with adult learners in New
York City, and wrote about their experience through an interview in
"Focus on Basics" (FOB). Please see this article for more information
about the study circles, and to prepare for this discussion:

A Conversation with FOB: Learning How to Teach Health Literacy
http://www.ncsall.net/index.php?id=995

We look forward to our first formal discussion on the Health Literacy
List! Please pass on this information to any colleagues who may be
interested, they can join the list (and then unsubscribe afterwards if
they wish) at the following link: