[HealthLiteracy 186] Health education for limited English proficient Latinos

Alex V

av47_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon May 15 16:37:19 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm a gradutate student in the School of Public Health
at the University of Washington. For the last six
months I've been implementing a program at the health
clinic where i work: I teach English as a foreign
language to Spanish-speaking adults that utilize our
health services.

I surveyed the clinic staff for suggestions on health
topics and/or health messages that they felt are
relevant to the limited-English proficient Latino
populations they serve. I took those topics to my
students, who then rated them based on their levels of
interest.

I'm in the process of writing the health curriculum;
however, I haven't been successful in finding
literature that substantiates my approach to improving
health and healthy behaviors: i.e., simultaneously
reducing language barriers for and increasing the
health knowledge of limited English proficient
populations.

Are you aware of any literature that supports this
approach (health education and ESOL/EFL)?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you,
Alejandro Varela