[HealthLiteracy 150] Using Pictures for Health Ed

Julie McKinney

julie_mcKinney at worlded.org
Wed Mar 29 10:28:47 EST 2006

Thank you, Sabrina, Martha and Linda, for discussing the use of pictures
and images for health education among very low and non-literate
populations. I would like to hear more about Martha's experience using
pictures and audio with farm workers. How effective was that method?
What were the challenges?

And, Linda, when your literature review is finished, will it be
available online? Please pass on the information to the list when it is
done, and if you have any sneak previews to share now, please do!

I think this discussion is so important because it seems that we need to
use as many methods as possible in order to best meet the needs of
learners: text of varying levels, pictures, audio, multimedia,
action-based projects, etc. If we are to encourage health education
throughout the world (developing and modern!) we have to find ways to
learn without text, AND to find ways to increase literacy skills in
almost all populations. This is the beauty of Gail's work with the
library in Mexico, and others who are addressing health needs with
literacy solutions.

I'd love to hear from others about using picture-based materials!

All the Best,

Julie

Julie McKinney
Discussion List Moderator
World Education/NCSALL
jmckinney at worlded.org

>>> mcstiles at ucdavis.edu 03/28/06 4:22 PM >>>

This problem is pervasive outside of the health/medical world as
well. Several years ago we were involved in a program at Univ. of
Calif. to reduce illness and injury among low-literacy, monolingual
Latino farm workers. We produced training materials with pictorials
and 3rd grade-level text along with audio tapes so workers could read/
or view images as they listened to the tapes describing safety
practices.

On Mar 28, 2006, at 10:33 AM, Sabrina Kurtz-Rossi wrote:

> Gail raises an issue that comes up over and over again, many

> patients can not read in English or in their native language. In

> these cases plain language English or translated materials simply

> don't work. I'm intrigued by some of the health materials and

> literacy curricula developed internationally that are primarily

> pictorial. The one I have sitting in front of me is called

> "Integrating Reproductive Health and Adult Literacy" and was

> developed and used in Egypt. I think there is something to be

> learned from this work in terms of application in the United

> States. What are your thoughts? Are any of you familiar with

> other primarily picture based resources being used internationally

> or in the United States?

> - Sabrina

> Sabrina Kurtz-Rossi

> World Education

> 44 Farnsworth Street

> Boston, MA 02210

> 617-482-9485

> skurtz at worlded.org

> 11:15 AM >>>

> Hi Gail,

> Several years ago I ran a pediatric literacy program in a public

> hospital. Years before that, I worked in the book industry. The

> pediatric literacy program Read Out and Read http://

> www.reachoutandread.org/ might be able to help or provide some

> resources to pursue for funding. You might also find support (book

> and/or financial) from some book publishers.

> Also, I have friends who are doing this sort of project in Africa.

> I can connect you with them, if you're interested. Please email me

> off list at kristina at easyreadcopywriting.com.

> Kudos for the work you're doing! Promoting books and reading are a

> long-time passion of mine.

> Kristina

> Kristina Anderson

> Writer, Editor, Consultant

> EasyRead Copywriting, LLC

> PO Box 6146

> Albuquerque, NM 87197

> 505-345-3258 (Office)

> 505-715-1070 (cell)

> kristina at easyreadcopywriting.com

> http://www.easyreadcopywriting.com

> "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the

> complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity." Charles

> Mingus

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Martha C. Stiles, Program Director
California AgrAbility Project
Farm Safety & Rural Health
University of California
Dept. of Biological and Agricultural Engineering
One Shields Ave.
Davis, CA 95616-5294
mcstiles at ucdavis.edu
530-752-2606 voice