[Technology 1805] People of the Screen (and of the book): mashup in video, audio and in print

David Rosen

DJRosen at theworld.com
Wed Nov 26 22:42:37 EST 2008

Hi Bonnie, and others,

Here's a YouTube video that you -- and your students might find
interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLlGopyXT_g

Do you (everyone reading this) know what mashup means?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mashup

What happens when you combine mashup and publishing? You might get
Philip M. Parker, an accomplished writer (and publisher) of 85,000
books on Amazon.com alone (he has "written" perhaps over 200,000
books altogether.) He holds a Ph.D. in Business Economics from the
Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and has Masters
degrees in Finance and Banking (University of Aix-Marseille) and
Managerial Economics (Wharton). He also happens to be dyslexic.

How does he do it? Are the books worth reading? Are these real books?
Are they really "written" or are they "mashed up"? How big a
difference is this, especially with the kinds of technical books
Parker writes? Is mashup software the new Gutenberg printing press
for the 21st century? Should we all know about this? Should our
students? How do you critically read a mashed up book? Same set of
criteria as for other books, or some new ones, too? Has anyone read a
Parker book? Tell us about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_M._Parker

David J. Rosen
DJRosen at theworld.com