[Technology 1499] Re: Social Networking Part II: Our Goals

Tina_Luffman at yc.edu

Mon Feb 11 14:35:55 EST 2008

Hi Emily and all,

I am one of those mean teachers who does not let the students visit
MySpaces.com during class time. I had too many young male students
visiting unsavory material, so I told them they weren't allowed to visit
pickababe.com, my nickname for MySpaces. They laughed and got the message.
I do like your ideas using MySpaces, however, and agree that using sites
like this one for class purposes can show students the value in creating a
professional-looking place for future employers to visit and see the
quality of their work online. It can also create a great place to recruit
students as many friends of our current students can get access to this
means of "communication without committment" to rouse their curiosity
concerning what goes on in an ABE classroom.

We as teachers also have to realize that putting ourselves out there in
MySpaces can be risky. Students can send us all kinds of material we never
wanted to see or say things about us we didn't want heard, but these are
the same risks we face as classroom instructors. In fact, perhaps this
type of activity does go on. For many, It seems like a safe place to act
out in cyberspace. I do teach GED Online, and in so doing I make it a
point to let students know that whatever they create electronically is not
private. This message seems to really curb inappropriate communication
between myself and the students, as well as between each other. Once they
realize that their activity online is saved and that people at the college
can download and see all of their work, they seem even more polite online
than in the classroom.

These are my ideas about the challenge of using MySpaces, and I am glad to
see someone out there having good response and success with this
technology.

Tina

Tina Luffman
Coordinator, Developmental Education
Verde Valley Campus
928-634-6544
tina_luffman at yc.edu

"Emily May" <emay at obtjobs.org>
Sent by: technology-bounces at nifl.gov
02/11/2008 10:44 AM
Please respond to
The Technology and Literacy Discussion List <technology at nifl.gov>

<technology at nifl.gov>
cc

Subject
[Technology 1497] Social Networking Part II: Our Goals

Goals. The MySpace page was built to help us meet a number of
programmatic goals. We were able to use a lot of the “features” of
MySpace, such as the blog, announcements, comments, and friends section to
our advantage.
· To announce upcoming events or agency news. Any announcements we
post will be visible on our “friends” personal homepage and on OBT’s
profile using the “Bulletin Board” and “Blog” features. Announcements
will increase attendance and program awareness among allies.
· To educate current and past students on issues they may be
facing. Using the blog, the OBT profile will make posts reminding
students of principles learned at OBT. An example could be, “What to do
about that annoying co-worker.” This will keep students linked in and on
track.
· To facilitate social networking among past and present trainees.
On every profile is a place to list current and past employment. Trainees
can search through OBT’s list of friends to find other OBT alumni who may
be able to help them advance their career.
· To compliment OBT’s alumni program by facilitating easy access to
OBT after trainees graduate. Students will be able to look at their
colleagues and teachers profiles and send them messages using My Space’s
messaging service.
· To enhance agency marketing materials and proposals. Using the
comments section, “friends” can write testimonies about their experiences
with OBT that can be used in agency materials.
· To give new recruits a way to explore OBT from a distance.
Current and past students may send OBT’s MySpace page to new, interested
recruits. Although a new website could also fill this void, “MySpace” is
a more youth-oriented and accessible approach to exposing youth to OBT
online. Note: It is possible but unlikely that new recruits would find OBT
online without being recommended by another student.
To see specifically how we used the various features to our advantage,
check out our MySpace page at: http://profile.myspace.com/obtjobs. In the
next email I will address how we got students and staff on board and some
of the protocols we put into place.
But first, a question for the group: Aside from what is listed here, how
else can you envision using MySpace to advance your organization’s goals?

Emily May
Opportunities for a Better Tomorrow
783 4th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11232