Veterans and their Families

  • Print
  • Bookmark/Share

Veterans and their Families

We protect veterans’ privacy. Requests for copies of veterans’ Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) must be authorized by original signature of the veteran or next-of-kin. That's why these records are not available for viewing or download.

To get copies of Military Service Records (eg: DD 214):

On this site you may also:

Use the blue navigation bar, at left, for more links.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How can I get a copy of my DD Form 214, Report of Separation (or equivalent form)? Read more...
  • Where can I call for help or immediate assistance? Read more...
  • How can I learn about benefits for dependents and families? Read more...
  • How does the National Archives protect the privacy of veterans records? Read more...
  • I've heard that NPRC will be scanning my military records and destroying the original documents, and that I can have the paper file if I request it. Is that true? Read more...
  • My great grandfather served in the Civil War (Revolutionary War, War of 1812, etc.) How do I obtain information concerning his military service? Read more...

More Veterans FAQs

PDF files require the free Adobe Reader.
More information on Adobe Acrobat PDF files is available on our Accessibility page.

Privacy and Security of Veterans Records Announcing the Interactive Vietnam War Memorial

What's New

WWII soldier See our new brochure (PDF), Finding Information on Personal Participation in World War II

Veterans' Service Records

View a recent newscast on some of the treasures in NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis.
Read the transcript

The story behind Veterans' Service Records

National Personnel Records Center (NPRC)

Resources & Services at the NPRC-MPR:

Share your story at the Library of Congress' Veterans History Project

The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration
8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001
Telephone: 1-86-NARA-NARA or 1-866-272-6272