[NIFL-ESL:1486] RE: The issue of English Only

From: Charles Jannuzi (jannuzi@edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 21:17:51 EST

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 21:17:51 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Charles Jannuzi <jannuzi@edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:1486] RE: The issue of English Only

This is a fascinating thread, but so utterly dispiriting that it even has to
be discussed.  One similar came up on JALTCALL earlier this year.

It might be the case that Hispanic/Latino Americans face a lack of empathy
for their cause because so many of American families  have over several
generations lost their immigrant ancestors' languages. So many Americans
just have no idea of the advantages of being bilingual. My grandparents on
my father's side spoke dialects of Italian.  Their children (raised in the
1920s and 30s speak no Italian. My German and Scots-Irish ancestors on my
mother's side have been speaking English longer than the Queen of
England's.

There is also the danger of confusion of terms:  bilingual programs (even
the subtractive type) and/or immersion programs don't necessarily go with
English Only.  I could see subtractive programs being used to enforce
English Only, however.

I think the best way to get the right-wing and xenophobic elements off of
Spanish-speakers' backs is for language teachers to articulate this
message:

Spanish is an international language that already rivals English.  Well,
rival sounds adversarial.  How about 'complements' English internationally.
 Since both the Republicans and Democrats now agree about one thing--the
business of America is business--it's just plain stupid for the US to ignore
Spanish (and Chinese) as an important international language that needs to
be (1) taught in FL programs in the US and (2) encouraged and supported in
the present bilingual population of Spanish-English speakers.

 Given it's location, there really is no very good practical reason why
Spanish should not be the "second" language of the US.  But it is more than
just semantics that it is taught as a FL in the US.
Isn't that ridiculous, absurd, utterly unbelievable, given the country's
long history of contact with Spanish-speakers and all of the
Spanish-speakers who have been Americans ( whether they wanted to be or
not)?  If English is to become the official first language of the US, then
Spanish should be the official second language of the US.

If countries all over the world logically enough choose English to teach to
their children as the foreign language of choice, so too Americans should be
able to choose Spanish.

Appeals to reason directed toward the racists, the xenophobes, the
populists, the know-nothings--do they ever work?  But such appeals can
persuade the majority sitting on the fence.

Toward a true multi-lingual USA.

Charles Jannuzi
Fukui University
Japan