[NIFL-ESL:1444] RE: assessment

From: Heide Wrigley (hwrigley@aiweb.com)
Date: Fri Sep 26 1997 - 13:25:58 EDT

Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 13:25:58 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Heide Wrigley <hwrigley@aiweb.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:1444] RE: assessment

hi,

A quick follow-up regarding Rachel's concerns about ESL tests that would
work for both placement and progress,  and it's really tough to find an
assesment that let's you show gains over short periods of time - and
even tougher to find out what those gains means (seems everybody's score
on a standardized test goes up a few points, no matter what program they
have been in or - worse - how long they have been in classes);  so if
you just want to show gains for the funding source, it really doesn't
matter much which test you pick - they all have similar problems
inasmuch as they don't tell us much about where students are in their
language and literacy development.  The A-LAS for example,  has a nice
writing piece, but in the reading component it jumps from simple words
recognition (which is really a vocabulary test) to a discourse level
that's hard for literacy students to deal with.

As for placement, a lot of programs report good experiences with the
BEST as a placement test (it is administered on a one-on-one basis), but
the literacy portion is a bit difficult for beginning learners to handle
(small print) -

I'd be interested in other people's experiences, as well -