[NIFL-ESL:1442] ESL Teacher Training/Children

From: Kalamansi@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 25 1997 - 22:57:03 EDT

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 22:57:03 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Kalamansi@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:1442] ESL Teacher Training/Children

Friends,

Thanks for the guidance you have given me with other questions put to this
message board.  As one who was forced into the computer age "kicking and
screaming," I am still amazed at the wealth of information available through
groups like this.

I will be leading a new teacher training in October and in this particular
school district, there are lots of children who need ESL.  I have worked with
children in the past but the bulk of my work has been with adults.  I have
some questions and I'd appreciate any guidance any of you might give.

1.  What materials/activities have you used with children (K-5) that you
found to be particularly effective?   Software?

2.  Are there any online resources that focus on ESL for children?

3.  What type of assessment instruments are commonly used with children?

4.  Does anyone know of a good email penpal exchange?

5.  What are some cultural issues that come into play with children and
language acquisition?

Thanks so much for any input you may have into any of these questions.  Feel
free to bring up any issues that relate to children and SLA that you feel are
important.

Rachel W. Tugon
Louisville, Kentucky