[NIFL-ESL:1412] Q: Literacy & new learning environments

From: Esko Johnson (eskjo@pp.kolumbus.fi)
Date: Sun Sep 14 1997 - 05:13:15 EDT

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 05:13:15 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Esko Johnson <eskjo@pp.kolumbus.fi>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:1412] Q: Literacy & new learning environments

Terve! (Hi all)
I have been lurking on  NIFL-ESL a couple of months and have found
the list very useful. I am new new to this list, so let me introduce myself
briefly. I teach English as a foreign  language at an Institute of Technology,
and I am also involved, as a sideline, in PD programmes for introducing
the new/open/flexible learning environments.

A while ago I completed a postgrad research project  ( see URL:
http://www.beam.cop.fi/ejohnson/iveta97.htm ) where I looked into the
ways in which engineering students process an L2 text in a functional
(reading-to-do) setting.

I think we all know that an efficent use of the new learning environments
requires a lot of literacy skills. I am now interested in learning about the
role of literacy skills in this domain, and am thinking of another research
project.

I was wondering if anyone on this list knows about articles (resources)
that take a look at the new learning environments from the perspective
of literacy skills. I would be grateful if you could reply off  the list.
I will post a summary.

Esko.

 Esko  Johnson                          Kokkola Institute of Technology,
 tel. +358 6 8285000 (w)            Central Ostrobothnia Polytechnic (AMK)
 tel. +358 40 547 58 40 (mobile)  Talonpojankatu 2, 67100 KOKKOLA, Finland
 fax  +358 6 8285222 (w)           <esko.johnson@pp.kolumbus.fi>
 URL  http://www.beam.cop.fi/ejohnson/
*Information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, wisdom is not insight.*