[NIFL-ESL:1398] GED in Spanish Materials

From: Claire R. Russell (crussell@ccil.org)
Date: Fri Sep 12 1997 - 11:10:24 EDT

Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 11:10:24 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Claire R. Russell" <crussell@ccil.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:1398] GED in Spanish Materials

I'm Claire Russell from La Comunidad Hispana in Kennett Square,
Pennsylvania, USA.  One of the programs I run is GED in Spanish, and I've
been looking for more and better materials for a while now.  Below is a
listing of some materials which are working for our GED/Pre-GED students.
As a preface, one note of caution:  there are not many good GED in Spanish
materials out there.  The majority are texts that have been translated
from English, and the publishers often seem to forget to have a native
speaker proofread, because the mistakes can be everything from occasional
to rampant.  One of the things we have done a lot of is creating our own
materials in class to compensate, and I think this will be a continual
trend.  That said, here are the materials we use:

-ARCO GED Prep in Spanish (tons of grammatical mistakes but the exercises
are good; this is our principal text)
-Barron's GED Prep in Spanish (more accurate, though not as many
exercises)

All the other texts in Spanish that we use are from Continental Press:

-Avanza en Matematicas (a series)
-Pasajes de <<cloze>> (a series)
-Comunidades alrededor del mundo
-Leer y captar el contenido -- ciencia/ciencias sociales (both series)

You can contact Continental Press at 1-800-233-0759.  The appropriate
catalogue is the "Spanish-Language and Bilingual Materials Pre K - Adult."

Beyond that, we use and adapt several books in English:

-Steck-Vaughn's  Mathematics Skill Book series
-Cambridge's  Skills in Mathematics, from the Skill Power Series

I hope this helps.  Unfortunately, there's a huge hole in this market.
When I ask publishers about it, they tell me there's not enough of a
market to justify creating the materials.  I, for one, will support
Continental Press while simultaneously asking them to improve the quality
of their materials in Spanish.

In trying to make lemons into lemonade, we use the grammar mistakes in
texts as "bonus lessons" for students.  Teachers will ask if they can spot
the mistakes -- food is the bonus (nothing like boosting our tired folks'
energy levels for learning...).

If you know of other materials or have any questions, please write me
directly:  crussell@locke.ccil.org

Buena suerte!

Claire Russell