Re: Volunteers in ESL

From: Ron & Vickie Cook (cook@accessus.net)
Date: Mon Aug 18 1997 - 18:48:58 EDT

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 18:48:58 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: cook@accessus.net (Ron & Vickie Cook)
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: Re: Volunteers in ESL

>One of our subscribers suggested the following as a topic for this
>list.
>
>Volunteers can be an asset in large,  typically multilevel adult ESL
>classes.  Does your program involve volunteers?  How?  (teacher aides,
> conversation group leaders?  one-on-one tutors?  Who is responsible
>for  supervising them?  What kind of training do they get?
>

>Fran Keenan
>NIFL-ESL moderator

Our program involves tutors in the ESL classes.  They work as teacher's
aides, conversation leaders, and one-on-one depending on the students and
the class.  I, as the Family/ESL coordinator for the adult literacy program
in our area, supervise and train them.  Because we work with a such small
number of classes each semester this is possible.  All adult literacy tutors
receives some ESL overview during the inital training.  This lets them know
that they may be asked to work with an ESL student, or in an ESL class at
some point in the future.  It also lets us get feedback from those new
tutors who think they would enjoy working with ESL students and those who do
not want to attempt it.

Then, if they move into the classroom, they get additional training, based
on their individual backgrounds.  We also provide observation time as a part
of training to allow for some non-threatening time in the classroom. This
has been a definite plus.  They may participate in a class discussion group,
but are not required to do so.  A couple of years ago I developed an ESL
manual to use with our tutors that is a compliation of resources (books that
can be checked out), methods (TPR, etc.), materials (handouts, worksheets,
etc), and miscellaneous materials that help a tutor understand the cutural
differences between themselves and their students.  It is some of the better
things that I have found that work well with a new tutor and new students.
It seems to help the tutors to have reference book to find help.

Because we run such a small number of ESL classes, they are always
multi-level. Tutors work on everything from basic conversation to advanced
grammar and study the constitution.  We try to do break out sections for
those studying for the GED in Spanish, separate form the regular group.  The
students needs could not be met without the devotion and committment from
the tutors.  The instructors love working with their tutors and become very
attached to the tutors, as well as their students.

Vickie Cook
Family Literacy/ESL Coordinator
Kaskaskia College
Centralia, IL