RE: Social Identity

From: Charles Jannuzi (jannuzi@edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp)
Date: Fri Aug 01 1997 - 03:40:09 EDT

Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 03:40:09 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Charles Jannuzi <jannuzi@edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: RE: Social Identity

With all due respect, I must say you missed my point.  If you read again
the parts of my message that you (accidentally?) omit in your quoting
of me, you will see that nowhere do I suggest that teachers "should
advocate" a political agenda in the classroom; on the contrary, that is
what I faulted YOU for apparently having done in your classroom.  While
I agree that society attempts to label each of us all the time, I just don"t
think teachers should compound the problem by allowing a classroom
situation to develop where one student is pressured by the rest to claim
a racial label that he or she is not yet ready, or willing, to accept.
 How
can any teacher decide which choices a student "should" or "should
not" make with regards to his or her own identity?  For instance, I am
very proud of my own racial heritage (Irish, Mexican, Italian), but if
someone, (especially a teacher) demanded of me a single label to
describe this heritage, I don't think I could answer.  So much would be
left unsaid that I consider essential -- which is the problem with
labels, as I am sure your Peruvian former student would agree.

Reply to;

Bern Mulvey: mulvey@edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Prof. of Literature
Fukui University