Re: Crossroads Cafe--Reply

From: ACE473@mail.clc.cc.il.us
Date: Wed Jul 23 1997 - 09:58:41 EDT

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 09:58:41 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: <ACE473@mail.clc.cc.il.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: Re:  Crossroads Cafe--Reply

We have used CrossRoads Cafe this summer in distance learning for upper beginning and
intermediate adult English-language learners. We set up the classes because we lose many
classrooms and budget for classes in the summer semester, and many learners' schedules change in
the summer months. We asked learners to watch 6-8 lessons during an 8 week semester, set up a
syllabus based upon the worktexts and additional personal writing exercises; in addition we asked
learners to attend their choice of small discussion groups weekly. 17 weekly discussion group
times were set up and run by teachers, interns, and professional tutors.

We have had excellent results from people who have done the work and participated. Writing
improved;the discussions have been active, and learners made an easy transition from tape
"retellings" to discussion of their own stories and issues. Discussion participants said they
enjoyed the opportunity "just to talk" for an hour in English. Learners reported enjoying and
benefitting from the lessons, especially in listening, vocabulary and writing. Only one student
presented us with pre and post CELSA test scores for the class period, but she showed
improvement.

Our problems centered around the relatively small number (only about 25%) who actually
participated fully in the lessons, partially because of internal registration and orientation
problems. Letters and phone calls from teachers and interns increased participation only
slightly. We plan to offer the course again next summer, but revise registration, orientation and
discussion group procedures, so that learners find more community. We would like to incorporate
other series, like Connect with English, once they are available, and later, offer it in a more
flexible, variable credit format.

If you have other questions, please feel free to write again or call me at (847) 543-2951.
Suzanne

Suzanne Leibman
CEED ESL
College of Lake County