ESL or ESOL? -Reply

From: Char Ullman (char@cal.org)
Date: Mon Jul 21 1997 - 15:48:02 EDT

Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 15:48:02 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Char Ullman <char@cal.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: ESL or ESOL? -Reply

In Chicago I always used ESL, as did my colleagues, but in Tucson, I
have found that people are consciously  using the term ESOL, and that
the reasons are political.  People are using ESOL  to confront the
monolingual bias in the U.S. mindset.  Just because most people from the
U.S. only speak one language doesn't mean that the rest of the world
does.  I think this reality really became clear to a lot of people when they
began to see African immigrants in their ESOL classes.  Many African
learners were learning English as their fifth or sixth language.

In conclusion, I think it does matter, and that adding an extra syllable may
help us keep our natural ethnocentrism in check.

Char Ullman